Russell was in desperate need of a haircut. I kept putting it off because I was dreading it. I don't remember being so hesitant cutting Jaron's hair for the first time. Maybe it has something to do with that I'm experienced now - I know when I cut those little baby locks off, they really aren't going to come back. Russell had adoborable little curls in the back. Clark, however, was concerned he was growing quite the mullet.
I think the other reason I didn't want to do it is because Russell's hair is a comfort object to him (as you will see from the next picture). When ever he is sad, or tired, or just needs a little soothing, his hands are up in his hair rubbing/pulling/stroking. He loves hair! Mine is his next favorite but he is always happy to test out someone else's. He doesn't find too much satifaction from Clark's or Jaron's.
Here he is, after the haircut, soothing himself. He's probably checking out to see if anything was left. He did a great job sitting still. Clark and I were tandem cutting. Me with the scissors and Russell; he will the clippers and Jaron. We've learned they do pretty well if you put them in front of a little movie (such a treat in our house). Russell did start to get slightly concerned as he saw his precious locks falling. But I think once he had his hands free and could feel there was plenty left to comfort with he was ok.
All smiles now. My little baby is not so little anymore. I think the first hair cut was more tragic for me than him.

2 comments:
Look at that smile! What a cute kid ;-)
He's so cute! I'm, with you in the trauma of the first haircut, I have been putting Emily's off for six months, and talk about a mullet. I just don't want to get rid of her baby hair. You did a great job with his haircut!--Amanda
Post a Comment