I have vivid memories of my Aunt Becky, of nine children, sitting in her pantry talking on the phone. Really, it became the place for anyone in that home to hold a phone conversation because as you can probably imagine it was quite busy and noisy. However, what makes me smile about this memory is that she really couldn't "hide" in there. Those were the days of the corded phones. You remember those annoying phones that actually had a cord attached! Well, they had an extra long cord cord at their house to stretch to the pantry. When in search of her it was pretty much a give-away as to where she was when you spotted the cord stretched to the pantry door around the corner and the door closed.
I personally enjoyed the privileged of sitting in that pantry with the door closed carrying on a phone conversation. Although, I most likely was just talking to my parents in a vain attempt to extend my vacation time.
Now that I'm old and grown with my own children I've got my own pantry phone booth. And it really is the best! And since I don't have a corded phone they usually don't know where to find me. While I do really enjoy the quiet and the ability to consume a piece of candy in peace I wasn't prepared for the regular contemplation I have on how disorganized my pantry is! Oh well. I find it amusing that I'm not the only one to discover this treasured room in our home.
Many serious business meetings takes place in this room.
No comments:
Post a Comment