Sunday, January 20, 2008

Denial

It looks like I finally have to write this post. My wonderful husband, Clark, is in denial. I think he is hoping that if he never gets around to writing this post, life is still the same. So the news (which Clark insisted he was going to share) is that Clark was officially released from being Elder's Quorum President 2 weeks ago! It can all be summed up by what one member of our ward said, "Do I offer congratulations or condolences?"

Clark has been serving as our ward's EQ President (or in other terms: president of a men's service organization for our church) for a little over 3 years. I searched for pictures to include with this post when he first started this calling but we didn't even own a digital camera at that point! On top of that, we were still a two-person family. We've doubled our family size during his tenure.

Today was the first Sunday that Clark has been home in the mornings to help get the kids ready and get out the door. Ok, he was around periodically a Sunday here or there when he didn't have meetings. However, I need to point out, that since having our first child, I've been doing the Sunday morning routine solo. I feel absolutely no sympathy for people who are late to church when there are 2 adults around to get kids out the door.

Anyway, it has been an interesting experience all in all. I think Clark feels a little bit at a loss for what to do. I especially think he misses his daily chats on the phone with his "fan club". I also had to have a conversation with him today that he shouldn't hog all the responsibilities and let other people have a chance to serve.

Picture this: Clark sitting in a weekly EQ meeting. "Brethren, we need someone to shovel the sidewalks this week and we are expecting at least 2 feet of snow." Clark "I'll do it. I'll do it!" Hand frantically waving in the air.

"Ok, Brethren, we need someone to help the Smiths move and they have nothing packed and lots of heavy furniture." Clark, "I'll do it. I'll do it." Hand frantically waving in the air.

"Ok. Thanks Brother Miller. Brethren, one last thing, we need need someone to sit through about 15 hours of meetings this week." Clark, jumping up and down and waving his hand frantically in the air, "I'll do it! I'll do it!"

You get the point.

Thus far, Clark hasn't received a new calling. However, I do know that the new president, Reed Cornia, is looking for counselors. ("I'll do it. I'll do it!")

3 comments:

m-strat said...

Congratulations Clark on an impressive term as Elder's Quorum President. It's hard to believe it was way back in October 2004 that we started out together in the EQ.

I did some research on a few things that happened way back in that by-gone era...

- George W. Bush was President.

- The United States was fighting a protracted conflict in Iraq.

- The Red Sox were Champions of a baseball world rocked by steroid scandals.

- The Patriots were playing in the Super Bowl.

- Millions of Americans tuned in to watch a whacky workplace comedy known as 'the office.'

- I was still working on a PhD in Southeast Asian history.

*sigh* It's amazing how much the world has changed.

Kelly said...

Clark, we owe you many thanks for your years of service. Not only to the ward, but to our family as well. My kids still haven't forgotten the time that you came home teaching with a lamb in your pocket. The melting chocolate chips in their hands was a very memorable lesson as well. We miss those.

And Kim, for all the times that we walked into the chapel, 2, 5 or even 10 minutes late...well, at least we know what you were thinking. ;)

Sarah said...

If I were in your ward, you'd have a calling pretty quick (I'm Primary President right now)...ha ha ha! I agree with Kim on having no sympathy for people being late to church when there are two adults. We've been late a few times, but never LATE late.