Tuesday, July 01, 2008

My Obsession

I'm not quite sure when it started. I can, however, recollect why I started becoming obsessed with it. Most likely, it has to do with the association between my property taxes and the cost of education. Don't get me wrong, I think it is vitally important to support education. It just kills me to pay my $3,000 plus property tax bill every year. (I don't live in a mansion!) According to my calculations, on my 2006 tax bill, 46% of my property taxes went to our local schools.

So given the history I just gave, it isn't too surprising that I discovered that those greedy corporations out there are willing to give money to my schools. All it took was a little effort on my part. Have you ever heard of Box Tops for Education? Or Cash for Caps? It is amazing that these companies are willing to give away "free" money. I'm happy to have someone else giving money towards the schools in my area.

Clark teases me that he doesn't think it's worth the effort. Each box top is only worth 10 cents. The caps off of our milk bottles are 5 cents. But hey, if everyone starts collecting, it can add up. I was amazed at all the things I purchase on a regular basis that contain some sort of education-based funding.

A small list:
Huggies diapers
Kleenex tissues
Milk
Campbell soup
Toilet paper (I can't remember which brand)
Taco shells (I can't remember which brand)
General Mills cereal - Cheerios, Chex, Kix, Lucky Charms, Golden Grahams (a few that we eat)
Chex Mix (the packages you buy in the store - a rare indulgence for us)
Pillsbury crescent rolls
Ziplock products
Cake mixes (again, General Mills possibly Pillsbury)

I have to state, I am not a typical brand name kinda gal. But I do gravitate towards buying certain products. So it's a fun little hunt I go on, on a regular basis. I love finding "free" money. I have an envelope by the door to my garage that I collect things and eventually when it runneth 'ore and I remember we take it to the library (which we frequently visit anyway) and drop it off in their collection box. So easy. So satisfying. I love those greedy corporations. So there you have it, my obsession. Of course, I would love to get everyone addicted. Maybe my property taxes would go down then. Wishful thinking, I know.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

If you're looking for another postive place to put your box tops (or maybe looking for a little money too) do you know that people will pay cash for these? Seriously. Just look on ebay.

Down with high property taxes!

Alyssa said...

Sarah (formerly Lavine) found my blog... and I went to her site...found your link... and here I am!

How are ya'll?! Wisconsin?! Two kids?!
Time flies, huh??

I'm totally adding your blog to my list. I hope we can keep in touch now :-)

And good luck with your Box Tops! :-)
Alyssa