Tuesday, October 14, 2008

What I do . . .

I've been working at my new job for a few weeks now. Working for one of those "greedy oil companies" has been an education for me. I've become more aware of many misperceptions of the general public of oil and energy in general.

Another little-known fact is that Kim loves to take online quizzes. Here is one that tests your energy IQ with 10 basic questions. It comes with this tagline:
"At a time when Americans are focusing on energy issues and policies, a survey
from API and Harris Interactive finds that most U.S. adults have a fundamental
lack of knowledge regarding energy demand and supplies and the role of America's
oil and natural gas companies. In fact, when presented with 23 multiple choice
questions, on average more than 25 percent of respondents said they were "not
sure," and in many cases people chose the response that is farthest from the
correct answer. Test your knowledge on 10 questions."

What is it that I do? I work in research and development in a group focused on developing refining technology for what is called heavy oil. Heavy oil can be derived from oil or tar sands and offers some challenges if we intend on using it in the future. It is cheaper than light crude oil and with today's high oil prices, it is becoming financially feasible to produce. There are actually large reserves of heavy oil that have not been tapped as of yet, particularly in Canada.

So as an employee of "big oil", I have been trying to educate myself more about energy in general and hope you can, too. But first, go ahead and test your energy IQ. You might be surprised by some of the answers.

2 comments:

m-strat said...

As a Canadian and a committed environmentalist I'm alarmed that another American oil behemoth intends to exploit our noble oil sands for its selfish energy needs.

Have we as a society become so greedy that we can no longer appreciate the instrinsic natural beauty of these vast reserves of bitumen-rich clay compounds? In my youth I spent many a vacation traveling up to Fort McMurray, basking in the pictureque scenery that is the Athabasca tar sands. It's jam-packed with sludgy goodness.

And now you want Albertans to exchange all that for a few hundred billion dollars?

Michael Bybee said...

I only scored 40% :(