I've come to accept that living in Oklahoma means very hot summers. I find it amusing that Oklahomans haven't really embraced that fact. They seem almost surprised that it is hot and continues to be hot. Much like Northerners seem surprised in the winter time when it is cold and it snows a lot.
Anyway . . . what I'm still struggling with (and probably will for a while) is how just ugly and brown and dead it looks around here during the summer. Not surprising when it's so hot and it really hasn't rained. It depressed me today when I stumbled upon this picture of Afton taken in May/June on my parent's back deck in Minnesota.
It is so lush and green and just BEAUTIFUL. And what you can't see is all the blooming flowers.
It's everything my yard is not. My grass is dying, my flowers have wilted, and I've got a 15 foot dead tree. I would go out and take a picture just to show but it is 109 degrees out right now (not including the humidity) and I probably would collapse from heat exhaustion before I made it down the driveway.

No comments:
Post a Comment