Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Getting Political

Hopefully the title of this post gives you fair warning. If you don't want to read my political views, stop reading now.

I have found myself strangely wrapped up in the political dealings for the past year. It is amazing that everything led up to election day yesterday and it's done and over with. I find myself very let down. For several reasons. For the record, I haven't been wildly happy about either Presidential candidate. I found myself more drawn toward John McCain because of his conservative leanings. It probably doesn't come as a surprise then that I'm unhappy with the election results. I think I feel overwhelmingly hopeless!

Clark says I am practically a libertarian (more accurately put, a economic libertarian). I like my independence. I like making my own decisions about my own life. I don't like someone else telling me what is best for me. When we qualified, I never was wildly interested or fond of government assistance programs; I just like my independence. I feel in despair with the thought of the next President - he loves government. He thinks government can solve any problem. I strongly question: What does the government do well? Maybe I'm too negative.

I don't like the idea of universal health care. (Yes, something should be done, but a government/socialist program is not the answer.) I don't like the idea of anymore economic bailouts. We need less government entitlement programs - not more. People need to learn more independence. And probably how to be more aware of serving and helping others instead of waiting for a government program to step in and help. I don't think we should be "sharing wealth" as people so casually toss around. Wealth sharing should be prompted by the individual, not the government. I've known lots of people who are exceptionally generous with the "excess". I think they do far greater good than just giving money to people who make less. I mean, earned income credit is a joke. I know, I've been given it. We always saved the money or used it to pay property taxes. I could keep going on but I'll stop.

I can't stress to you enough the strong feeling of hopelessness I feel. I know that I already said it, but that's how I feel. You won't see me out celebrating this decision. I'm hoping I can get through the next four years.

It's a little late for this but my mother-in-law emailed it to me and I got a good laugh out of it.

5 comments:

Jamie, Amanda, and Kids said...

I completely agree; we need less government, not more. It's sad when the majority of a nation wants a president who will provide every need, solve every problem and satisfy every whim for them without their sweat and effort. Thanks to our Heavenly Father for a strong and stable church, eh?

Emily said...

I am with you, Kim. I am feeling rather hopeless about the future of this country, and our personal futures.

Sarah said...

I LOVE that comic!

Unknown said...

I agree with you 100%. However, an interesting note - Prop 8 voting demographic was slightly against among caucasians, slightly for among latinos, but in the black vote nearly 65% voted for Prop 8. If Barack hadn't run and gotten out the black vote, it might not have passed. His 4 years are a price I can live with if it helped pass prop 8 in CA.
The boys reading together is super precious!

Andrea said...

I fould you. I like this comic, and it's so true.