I've been thinking a lot lately about what I value. And how my words and actions should reflect what I value most. Let me give you a few examples.
Throughout junior high and high school my parents faithfully paid for me to take voice lessons. I loved taking voice lessons. Learning to improve my voice was important to me; or at least that's what I thought. It wasn't until years later when I was paying for my own voice lessons that I learned how much I valued them (or didn't). I rarely practiced when my parents were the ones footing the bill. However, when I was the one writing the checks, practicing and taking my lessons more seriously became a priority.
I value motherhood. I hope that is reflected in my actions. I have children (and one more on the way). I've decided to forgo pursuing a career to stay home and delve into the world of my childrens' lives. I hope that this shows that I value being a mom. I'm not a perfect mom! I know plenty of women who have struggled with the choice between being home or going to work. And some career moms are probably far better mothers than I am. But I value motherhood. I hope that my children know that and that the people I come in contact with know that.
I value healthy living. I think our bodies are sacred and we need to be taking care of them. But gosh, I love chocolate! It is a regular part of my diet. (And might I add, all sorts of other sugary, salty snacks.) So the question I've been asking myself of late: Do I value chocolate more than healthy living? Well, my actions are saying yes.
Hopefully these things illustrate what is on my mind. Am I demonstrating through my words and actions what I value? Because when my words and actions don't reflect what I profess to value, then I obviously have placed something else as a higher priority. It is probably something we all struggle with. It is hard to clearly define what we value when there are things that both seem good. However, I believe what I value most dearly will (and should) win out in my thoughts, words and actions. I've come to see this is reflected in all I value whether it be physically, politically, morally, or spiritually.
If you have gotten to the end of this and are wondering why I wrote all this, like I said, it has just been something on my mind. Thanks for letting me get it out.
2 comments:
I feel the exact same way about the Healthy Living-Chocolate dillema.When I "fast" from Chocolate for a few days though, it kinda helps me get over the desire. Also...being a little low on cash forces us to JUST buy what we need to sustain us...then maybe one special treat for the week. What a blessing it has been to be poor.
Congrats on the new one on the way...I forgot about that.
Hi Kim,
It's nice to see your blog. We're glad to see that your family are adjusting well. Your boys are growing fast. I like your post about what you values. Hope everything is going well. Chaa
Post a Comment