Monday, February 02, 2009

Ice, Snow and Sun

Yes, here I am, posting about the weather again. Last Monday and Tuesday we experienced our first ice storm here (although minor according to accounts I've heard from locals.) Happily Clark was sent home early from work on Monday afternoon. I was surprised when it took him 15 minutes to get up our driveway which barely has an incline. The next day he came home early also because it was snowing and lots of people at work that were leaving were surprised that he wasn't.


Jaron in particular was very happy that Clark came home since he was desperate to go outside and play in the snow. When he realized it was snowing (and it was - nice big flakes, none of these pathetic little specks) Jaron joyfully declared: "It's snowing! We can go outside and shovel the driveway and the sidewalks!!" Apparently he doesn't realize you can do some fun things in the snow. So Clark rescued me from disappointing Jaron because I wasn't about to bundle up a 3-week-old baby with a cold and take her out to play in the snow.

They canceled school here two days (not that it affected us) and by Thursday there wasn't a trace of snow or ice. By Saturday the weather was blissfully warm - almost 70 degrees. And how's this for crazy, a prairie grass fire started behind the homes of the next street over. Thankfully the wind was blowing in the other direction otherwise we all would have been battling fires. The weather is crazy here. We are too so I guess it all works out.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Laura said...

Hey we didn't get snow. All we got was a layer of ice followed by ice pellets. My kids were out of school four days and we still have ice on our driveway! I think it will be gone today when it gets up to 70. The weather here is the strangest weather I've seen anywhere, for sure.