Monday, January 23, 2012

Contemplations While Shoveling

While shoveling the driveway this afternoon I watched as mothers came and went next door. They were picking their children up from day care after a long day of work. I thought about the difference between their life and mine.

My day consisted of this (with kids unless specified): Grinding wheat and then making wheat bread, doing yoga (for the first time, embarrassing to confess but true), cleaning up the kitchen, working on letter recognition and then lunch. I enjoyed watching a show while walking on the tread mill, my kids were otherwise occupied. I even enjoyed two adult conversations which did not include my husband. Wow, I probably haven’t had one of those in about five days or more.

Of course, no day at home with kids wouldn’t be realistically complete without the poopy diapers, rushing to get Jaron fed and out the door to school, the complete mess Russell and Eliza created while playing and maybe an argument or two to referee. And then, Afton created quite a delightful afternoon by refusing to go to sleep. Hence, she spent a good hour or more crying. Her normal nap time was delayed by 1 ½ hours.

While I contemplated all of this I watched Eliza digging in the snow.


And Russell learning the finer points of shoveling. We are training him to believe it is fun. Just like we’ve indoctrinated Jaron. (Who, by the way, came home last Friday and didn’t set foot in the house until he had shoveled the driveway!)

Afton was, blessedly, peacefully sleeping.

After Jaron got home from school we enjoyed some time sledding and playing in the snow. It was just fun. I was so grateful for that.

I recalled a comment from another mother when I was just a brand new mom to a 6-week-old. Cradling and snuggling that peaceful little boy she bluntly told me "staying home with kids would be absolutely depressing."

I’ve gotten that comment and many like it over the years. Yes, it is hard. Yes, it is challenging. And yes, I have struggled with depression.

However there has been so much pleasure and joy in those little things. Like Eliza today telling me she put on her socks all by herself. This would have been a first until she clarified with a delighted little laugh "on my hands."

I couldn’t imagine it any other way. I wouldn’t have it any other way. Some would ask: How could you love this life? I would ask: How could you not?
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Being a mom that worked outside the home, and now works inside the home (taking care of a few extra little ones) I have to say it is WAY harder staying at home. Way harder to keep my house clean, dishes done, and by the end of the day I've gone none stop and crash. But like you, I don't want to miss out on these golden moments that only happen once. And honestly I wouldn't trade this lifestyle for the world.