Sunday, December 09, 2007

Crafty

I, by nature, am not really that crafty. My craftiness comes and goes in small increments of time. Usually an hour binge every few months is good enough for me. I'm notorious for starting a project and then letting it drag on for months or a year or so. I don't scrapbook, crochet, knit (would like to learn), quilt, or making my own decorations. I love looking at craft books and admire women who are instinctively crafty and creative. Periodically, I'll get the bug to do something that we really need.

For example, in our first year of marriage I decided we needed a warm quilt. I decided to make it myself. What a joke! First off I couldn't even figure out how to use the sewing machine - my husband had to show me. Not only that, he had to read the quilting pattern and explain them to me just so I could do it. I had no sense for matching colors. This quilt was accomplished in a short amount of time due to Clark insistence. We had to paint our bedroom yellow to tone-down the blinding nature of the quilt. To this day I'm still having to take a needle and thread to the seams that have come apart.

So that being said, I find it humorous that I got the itching to make Christmas stockings. Even more surprising that Clark supports me in these random crafty-ambitions. And so like my mother before me (and probably lots of other crafty-women) I made the traditional felt Christmas stockings.


A finished product.

It's been a bit of a process with lots of consulting with Clark. (He's so patient.) Of course, I need to show off my handiwork for all to admire - or chuckle at - if the case may be.

Each stocking has an individually crafted Christmas tree. Clark insisted he wanted Christmas lights. A bit crazy looking but I doubt I'll ever get around to making him a new tree.

I have to admit, I've only officially completed two stockings. I'm sure I'll get the others done by Christmas. Of course, I didn't say which year!

Jaron & Russell:
Two little boys who are blissfully unaware of their mother's lack of craftiness.

No comments: