If you have never heard of eBay, I seriously question what you have been doing or where you have been for the past 10 years or so. I have ventured on to eBay on numerous occasion searching out various items and even risking bidding on a few items here and there. (Some successfully and some not.)
Clark and I, for the first time, actually sold something on eBay. And boy, did we sell something! This requires a little history. I mean come on, it wouldn't be blog worthy if it didn't! It all started about the time that Shane Strate was so faithfully home teaching us. (The outcome of his home teaching included things such as the completion of the painting in our basement, holding the mice at bay, and inspiration on a name for our son. His home teaching service plays an important role in this story too.)
It must have been around Christmastime several years back. Shane was dutifully home teaching us. I'm sure that at some point during his visit he remarked on our wonderfully decorated Christmas tree. We do have some pretty cool ornaments. Clark has acquired over the years some great Hallmark Keepsake ornaments (which Jaron really loves!). However, there has been some discussion concerning a particular ornament I didn't really care to have hanging on our tree. I believe I brought this up with Shane and I'm sure that he sided with Clark in agreeing that it was cool. I've won this argument for years so this "cool" ornament has stayed in the box and not on the tree.
Anyway, this year, Clark made the mistake of suggesting that we go through our Christmas decorations and decide what we want to keep. We set aside most things in a garage sale box but this ornament we decided it might be worth selling on eBay.
How little did we know how coveted this item would be! It was sheer entertainment for us to get on to eBay everyday and watch the numbers go up. Or even to know that we had people "watching" the bidding. The thrill of selling it was more than the money we got. In the end, we sold the ornament for $92! Can you believe we were a bit disappointed? Only because we had seen others that had gone for $120. Maybe we can blame it on the fact that Shane hasn't been over recently to see us.
Oh and in case you are curious, I doubt that will ever sell anything again an eBay. You just can't top that experience.
3 comments:
No picture of the cool ornament? C'mon!
Yeah! I want to know what the ornament was too!
So you have a beautiful momento of the treasured hometeaching experiences we shared, and you cherish this relic by selling it on ebay? That's what our time together meant to you: ninety-two dollars?! (You know if you had attached my name to the product listing it would have sold for ten times that amount).
Perhaps this IS what Christmas is all about. I shall follow your example and use ebay to auction off my birthright. Minimum bid: a mess of pottage.
Post a Comment