Friday, December 07, 2007

Overheard

Kim and I once gave a ride to someone. We chatted a bit about the usual stuff--how life was going and the weather-- and then the conversation turned to employment. I said that I was in graduate school studying chemical engineering. Kim quickly added (with a small laugh) that she does all my homework. To which this person replied:

"Wow! Your kids must have some pretty unique DNA."

My mind started thinking on the subject and I began to form an intelligent response describing how we all do have unique DNA, (unless we are identical twins) but how recent research of the human genome has revealed that we have a great deal of DNA (perhaps > 90%) in common with other life on the Earth. But then I stopped that line of thinking and simply responded, "Yep. I think you're right on that one."

No comments: