I need to stop dreaming up scenarios that I don't want to have happen to me because inevitably they do. Today was one such day. Let me give you a little background. A year and half ago I convinced Clark that our then 1992 Toyota Camry with 150,000 miles on it was no longer safe for me to drive. I had fears of it breaking down and stranding me with two kids. Our Camry was a good car - but it did have the tendency to break down at inopportune moments. (No-wheres-ville Alma Center, Wisconsin and in the mountains of Provo Canyon 10 minutes from Aspen Grove.) So we took the risk and purchased a used car that had lower miles and a warranty on it. Wow, a warranty, weren't we in heaven?
Now to add to this story. I've also wanted to get a cell phone for quite awhile. Clark's always thought of it as a luxury more than a necessity. I hate to admit this but I have to agree with him. He finally relented when I saved up my birthday money and we managed to swing an employee plan. We've only had the phone for a few short weeks; however, it's mostly become Clark's phone. He carries it with him to work since he's been making lots of long distance phone calls during the day and it's easier to give a cell phone number as a contact for him instead of his work phone, or even worse our home phone. (Jaron's heavy breathing on the phone isn't a very attractive feature to potential employers or contacts.)
So here goes my day: There was a city-wide garage sale event going on in a neighboring city. I've been wanting to go find some clothing for Jaron. I managed to pack the boys in the car by 8:30 am this morning (which is not an easy task!) and we headed off hoping to just to stop at a few sales. Hours later I'm still looking and we are all sick of the process. Of course, by then, it's raining. With bribes of a sucker and crackers I head into one more sale and find one item I need, fork over my $2 and we're on our way home.
It's pouring rain by this time and I manage to convince myself that the car isn't accelerating because the roads are slick. I don't know what I was telling myself when the power steering went out but I just kept hoping that I could make it home the nearly 15 miles. Luckily . . . luckily, the car kicked it right as I rounded a corner and there was a truck stop just down the hill. I coasted into the truck stop and stopped dead right in front of the scales. Of course, there were huge signs posted about not blocking the scales. Great!
I throw the car into neutral and jump out thinking, "Hey, I've seen plenty of guys push a car 50 feet or so. No big deal. I can do it." Ankle deep in water and getting rained on, I'm sure I was an amusing sight to the truckers sitting in their cabs. I swear, there was a whole fleet of them. This was a pretty busy truck stop. I'm pushing and pushing and pushing. I'm not getting anywhere! Finally a big, burly, white bearded trucker in a flannel shirt came along (of course he was laughing) and offered to push my car. Actually, he commanded me to get in the car and drive and he would push. Did my eyes detect in the rear view mirror he was casually pushing the car one handed?
Off I drag the kids, locate a pay phone (yes they still exist!) and spend the remainder of my summer garage sale money making desperate phone calls to Clark. Naturally, I was talking to him on the cell phone!!
I was rescued. A tow truck came along and finally my sweet friend, Karin. Jaron loved watching the tow truck; I just wish I had a camera to capture the moment. (Wait, we do have a camera phone!) The car is now safely at the repair shop awaiting diagnosis. I'm attempting to find amusement that my worst fears came true: being stranded in the car with two kids without a cell phone. Well, at least there are a lot worst places then a truck stop, it could have been a cornfield.
1 comment:
Wow! What a story! Glad you guys were able to get some help.
Post a Comment