We can now officially claim that we have a Doctor in the house. However, I wouldn't want Clark to be preforming any medical procedures on me. His first response would be to grab his lap top and start making computer simulations of my situation. Or something along those lines.
On Wednesday, September 10th, I joined in with 5 college faculty and a handful to students to listen/watch Clark present his chemical engineering dissertation. His dissertation had something to do with thermodynamics and beta-peptides and all the fun things they like to do. You can see that I really have a true grasp on all chemical engineering related topics. In fact, I think I was the only person sitting in that conference room last Wednesday wondering if Clark truly knew what he was talking about and if everyone else understood. At the end, when it was open for questions, I restrained myself from raising my hand and saying, "Yeah, could you go back to the beginning and explain real s-l-o-w-l-y?"
All in all he did a great job. I was slightly worried when his closed door question and answer session (aka grill session) with his panel went for nearly an hour and half. Going through my mind, "They've got to pass him! All our stuff is currently being packed so we can move to Oklahoma the next day!"
He emerged from his grill session intact but slightly, well, how to do I put it best, out of it? I couldn't get a coherent sentence out of him for 5 minutes until the his panel emerged with handshakes and congratulations.
Success!
I truthfully don't think I can quite comprehend everything that goes into obtaining a PhD. And if you don't mind the "bragging" I'm very proud of Clark. He worked extremely hard. He's had to deal with some interesting challenges while attending grad school. (Yes, being married to me would probably count.) I've always been impressed with his ability to focus. Things can be flung at his head and he wouldn't flinch. The only times I've been able to focus like that have been when I'm reading a really good book.
I'm grateful for his hard work, commitment and diligence. I hope that he will be proud of what he has done. Congratulations, Dr. Clark Miller!
5 comments:
Daaaaaaaang. Way to go Clark! Anyone who can study a topic so fascinating yet boring all at the same time DEFINITELY deserves a doctrate. You rcok! And Kim, you rock for surviving all that. We live in a ward with Chiropractic students and the wives hardly ever see their husbands when they're in finals week. Ugh...so glad we're done with school. Congrats...yay for moving too!
Congrats! I'm excited for this great news :-)
Good luck with the move-- I hope it goes well and that you get settled soon.
Hugs
I just want you to know that I breathed a sigh of relief for both of you.
Way to go. Those last months of the PhD are not fun ones.
More updates! More updates!
Congratulations! Your panel obviously didn't pull any punches. And now you're a doctor, and you deserve it!!
Congratulations! I'm sure the hard work will pay off mightily in the years to come.
Post a Comment