It finally took a solo grocery shopping trip for my new reality to sink in. Everything feels so foreign to me and it doesn't help that I couldn't find what I needed in the grocery store. (Not to mention the prices.) After the third store and every step of the way I cursed the stores and wished Woodman's was around I finally got in the car and couldn't stop myself from crying.
Change is not something that comes naturally and easy to me. I'm not very adventurous. I'm a home body by nature. Clark is too because regularly he would ask me what I wanted to do that weekend and he didn't seem to object when I would say "Stay home."
But what am I suppose to do when home doesn't feel like home? It is like not feeling comfortable in your own skin. I know that things just take time. I just don't like how it feels.
The boys have done amazingly well. When we first came into the house on Monday morning they ran around shrieking. And in every room. "Yep this one echos, lets go try the other." It's amazing how loud this house is. It doesn't help that there are lots of wood floors. I've been asking for carpeting since.
Clark and I were both worried about how Jaron would adapt and respond to this move. He's just very aware of his surroundings. In Madison, he knew exactly where the library was, the grocery store, the bank, church, Clark's work. Nothing got past him. He just has a great memory for things. (Apparently he remembered that the nursery at Gma and Gpa Miller's had a train. He hadn't been to that nursery since January!) We've prepped him lots and lots. Showed him pictures of the new home, tried to explain the process. He has seemed to settle in just fine. Of course, things have been a bit off lately it will be interesting to see how things are next week when Clark finally starts his job.
Jaron and Russell has become even better buddies. But also partners in crime. They have loved all the moving boxes - in particular the paper. Tonight they were in Jaron's room gleefully shredding it and throwing it around the room. They really have been great this past week.
I've managed to successfully exhaust myself every day. We get up early, work hard all day and get to bed late. I don't know how people can handle jobs where they are on there feet all day. Mine have been aching since Monday. (I guess pregnancy doesn't help things.) I was complaining about how my feet hurt and Clark suggested I remove my tennis shoes. I was worried that if I did that they wouldn't go back on. Oh well. So I've been immersing myself crazily into organizing (a favorite pastime). I think with so much going on, I've successfully managed to avoid thinking about all that's changed.
But gosh, I sure do miss Woodman's!
2 comments:
When we drive out of Madison for the last time I remember Kaddi didn't stop crying until we were almost through Illinois. But moving three times in three years has helped cure her sentimental nature. (Actually, I think I may have broken her.)
It's always difficult to start over, but I would think you enjoy the new grocery stores. Having to go INTO Woodman's used to make me cry.
I still miss Woodman's four years later! I think it's hard to move anywhere new, but you'll get used to it and you'll find a shopping routine and the library and new friends, etc. I know how hard it is to move from Madison. One thing I have held on to is knowing this is where we're supposed to be. The church has been another great thing for us here. We have great friends and a great ward family. I know you'll do well, once you've adjusted to the new environment. Take care.
Post a Comment