Monday, July 06, 2009

Breathing Room

We arrived home late last night after a wonderful trip to visit my parents in Minnesota. It was a nice two-week break from the monotony of routine. We immensely enjoyed escaping the heat and humidity of Oklahoma to soak in the beautiful weather, flowers, trees, soft grass and landscape of Minnesota.

I loved that the nights got cool enough for me to snuggle under the covers at night. A little about my quirky sleep habits: I'm not much of a heat person. I don't like being warm at night. I sleep best when my room is on the verge of being freezing. (I'm not sure how Clark puts up with it!) I love using a quilt all-year round. I hate just using a sheet or no cover at all. I love the feel of my quilt pulled up to my face. I probably drive my kids crazy because when I go to check up on them at night I like to pull the covers up to their faces.

The boys enjoyed playing, playing, playing. Outside, inside, in the water, in the sandbox, on the swing seat, on their riding toys, upstairs, downstairs and especially with Uncle TJ. Wow, does he have the best talent in entertaining two little boys for a good 20 minutes by just sitting in a chair and just periodically poking them. These little boys would just giggle, giggle, giggle. I wish I had the knack to do that. Eliza just enjoyed rolling, inching, and "eating" everything within arm distance. Oh, and smiling at whoever she could catch their eye.

We stayed busy (but never managed to take too many pictures). Visits with family, friends, to two different zoos, the Children's Museum, lakes for swimming or just throwing rocks, parks, walks, a train museum, garage sales, trips to the airport, shopping!, strawberry picking, cookie making, going out to lunch with Grandma and Grandpa, story time and just plain enjoying being in Minnesota. I had a long list of things I wanted to do and still didn't manage to accomplish it all.

Clark was pretty grateful that he got me to come home after two weeks. He was worried I might stay. I though about it . . .

All in all it was just a great time to just well, think. Sometimes I get caught up in what is or isn't going on in my life. Or what is or isn't happening how I want it to. For two weeks I felt like I had room to breathe. To remember I am who I am. I've been immensley blessed. Those blessings come by in large from the experiences I've had, the people I've met and the places I've lived. I feel like I'm ready to dive back into life. But I wouldn't complain if I could go to Minnesota again soon.

No comments: