Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Hand-Me Down Snob

Clark and I have learned a few economizing tricks after living on a student income for eight years. We especially learned how to pinch pennies when it came to purchasing kids clothing. I love to shop garage sales, off season, clearance, and consignment. They aren't always the most stylishly dress but hey, at least they are wearing clothes.We were pretty happy when Russell came along only two years behind Jaron. That meant we then could do hand-me down clothes therefore avoiding another wardrobe for another child.

Clark is always good natured as I delightfully show off my finds and explain my deals. Maybe his eyes only glaze over a few times. I must confess though, I lately had one of my largest splurges. A 20-something dollar dress for Eliza. I've justified it however by only purchasing one dress for her to wear this summer. She'll just wear it every week and therefore I'll maximize my enjoyment out of seeing her wear it.

I've always been the one responsible for the clothes in our house. (Buying, organizing, cleaning.) However, I was reminded tonight of one law Clark has laid down when it comes to clothes. See, I was at a woman's house who was selling a lot of her sons clothing. Including some pretty cool car underwear. It really was tempting to buy. I know that my boys would love it and I'm not one to buy "cool" underwear. It's the cheapo white stuff for my kids. Anyway, I knew I would have been wasting my money because Clark won't allow any hand-me down underwear. I'm not even allowed to give Russell Jaron's old underwear. That's where Clark puts down his foot at being cheap. He's a little bit of a snob in that regard. I guess he is saving Russell from this one indignity in life.

3 comments:

Clark said...

In my defense . . .

I grew up with two older brothers and had many hand-me-downs. Now, as a parent, I completely understand the reasoning for using hand-me-downs. I just draw a proverbial line in the sand when it comes to undergarments. We can afford to buy new in that category.

Jessica Bybee said...

I love garage sales!!! So fun! That is all our boys wear most of the time except when Grandma splurges on them. I agree with Clark--- add me to the "Hand-Me Down Snob" List!

Lisa Rampton Halverson said...

Being the eldest but the smallest in the family, I always inherited their hand-me-ups (no underwear that I recall, though!). Last month I bought my first pair of NEW jeans in 20 years, I think. I just used siblings' used stuff!

My mom bought a bunch of used cloths to use as napkins at our dinner table. Some missionaries were totally grossed out by that concept.