Tuesday, March 16, 2010

What About Social Security?

I don't know about you, but all I seem to be hearing about these days is Health Care Reform, Health Care Reform, Health Care Reform. Ok, let me preface that by saying when I get around to listening to or reading the news. Don't even get me started about how frustrated I am about the whole "reform" thing. This is just a bunch of politicians attempting to push something through but really isn't going to address the major issue of health care: cost. And do we really believe that the government is all that fabulous about running any entity? Refer to my previous posts on the wonderfully functioning US Postal Service to see my opinion on that. See, I shouldn't get started on this.

What I really want to talk about is Social Security. Has anyone heard any politicians or news reporters talking about that lately? I didn't think so.

I just got our annual social security statement. Typically I flip to the page that shows our contributions and lists how much our benefit will be when Clark retires at the wonderful age of 70. But this day was different. I actually read all the mumbo-jumbo at the beginning and was embarrassingly, naively SHOCKED!

I quote: ". . . the Social Security system is facing serious financial problems, and action is needed soon to make sure the system will be sound when today's younger workers are ready for retirement [that would be Clark and I]. In 2016 we will begin paying more in benefits than we collect in taxes. Without changes, by 2037 the Social Security Trust Fund will be exhausted and there will be enough money to pay only about 76 cents for each dollar of scheduled benefits."

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

And we are stressing about health care!!!! Ummmm, this is an issue that affects every American family! Working, retired, disabled, you name it, it affects them.

I'm not saying that in any way Clark and I expect or even plan on receiving social security payments. However, this is money we are forced into "saving" for our retirement that essentially we may never get back. Instead of allowing the average worker the option of investing their own money the government insists on taking a percentage of their monthly paychecks to invest in that black hole called the Federal Government's Social Security System.

Really? Really?? This is a wonderfully functioning system and we are all stressed about health care? REALLY?

I'm bothered by this. I'm frustrated about the lack of awareness and most especially the lack of action. Yes, I've heard people and politicians talking about the system being broken, needing fixing, etc. But yet, nothing has happened. But gosh darn it, let's talk about Health Care Reform. I feel really good about that system functioning smoothly for the next 75 years. (Yeah right!!)

1 comment:

Emily said...

I've always known I will most likely never see anything I"ve ever payed into social security. It's horrible. What a crock!