Friday, March 26, 2010

I Need a Hobby

I spend far too much time couponing. I'm in serious need of a hobby. Or maybe a life depending on who I'm talking to. Acquiring coupons, sorting them, planning to use them, and using them somewhat consumes me. But gosh it is so exciting! I can't conceal my excitement from sharing my good deals.

Typically it's a phone call to Clark or my mom. One day my dad answered and my mom wasn't there to share with. I really think he thought I was loosing my mind as I gushed over how much money I saved. I wonder how much constraint it took my kind father from saying, "Kim, you need to get a life."

I can talk at Clark for 30 minutes about coupons. I think he bemusedly tolerates my obsession. I want to tell everyone. Wouldn't you want to share incredible deals like the one I got this past week? I got 20 boxes of cereal and 9 gallons of milk for a grand total of $12. Seriously! A friend told me she's coming to my house for cereal if there is a natural disaster.

Ok, I'll admit it, I've even dreamed about coupons. But hey, what perfectly normal person doesn't periodically dream about that?!

It's been great because I've managed to avoid Walmart (not been there since January 17) and I have saved money in the process. But when I look forward to Sunday's for the coupon inserts in the newspaper, Wednesdays for the new grocery ad, and anxiously await the mail because I know my mom is sending more coupons in the mail; well, it's time for me to find a real hobby. I mean come on, I bought a pregnancy test with a coupon for heaven's sake.

Even though you didn't say it Dad, I really do need to get a life!

3 comments:

Nate King said...

I love finding deals, too (although Leslie would probably say that the deals I find end up costing us more money because we don't really need the things that I find on such great deals). Anyway, you can tell me about all the deals you find (by the way, were those Kelloggs cereals? because they are all 50% off right now).

Alison said...

It's a natural high! Saving all that money should be something your husband pays attention too, but alas Jeff's eyes glaze over as he thought I was joining a scam when I came home signed up for couponsense - pay to save....seriously! But he now sees the benefits - and 20 boxes of cereal with 9 gallons of milk would easily run you $100!!!! Great find and way to go! I'm always up for a good coupon savings story. It's sad when you get to 10 boxes left and think you're getting low, need more cereal! haha!
I have been known to take pictures of my stash. :)

Anna and Ryan said...

how in the world are you going to drink 9 gallons of milk??? Better call your dad! :-)

That's a super deal, wow!