Thursday, May 14, 2009

Hunkering Down


We had our first real tornado warning last night since moving to Oklahoma. I'm still having a hard time figuring out why a place like Oklahoma that gets tons of tornadoes doesn't have many homes with basements. I'm grateful for our small little Harry Potter cupboard under the stairs. It offers a little piece of mind even if the quarters are cramped. (And the added benefit of being closely situated to our food storage and 72 hour kits.) Obviously, as you can see from the picture, the kids were completely unconcerned about the whole thing. They all happily slept. I had fond memories of my parents dragging me out of bed in the middle of the night to sleep in random places in our basement as we waited out tornadoes. Luckily all was well. That is except for the fact that after 30 minutes of being cramped in the storage closet my legs were aching. They still tingle just to think about it.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Alison said...

Wow! I can't even imagine. I would have no idea what to do in those situations. The worst disaster I've been in is a major "wind" storm and flooding nearby homes, or drought but never having to sleep in the closet. Glad you guys are safe and so well prepared. :) Just one big slumber party for the kids. :)