Thursday, August 19, 2010

Courage Needed

This last week required a little extra dose of courage from various members of our family. Jaron started Kindergarten. And just watching that little boy walk those strange, busy, busy hallways I couldn't help but think how courageous he is. To go wholeheartedly into a new situation with new classmates, teacher, schedule, etc. Wow, I don't think I could do that! Lunch had to be daunting enough when it is pretty much expected that these kids would inhale their food in 15 minutes or less (but that's another story). He cheerfully went back the next day and the next. I was struck by how much courage he must have to take this new step in his life.
First day of Kindergarten.
Does that light look bright to you? Thought not.

I think as his parents, we had to be courageous. It isn't an easy thing to send a child off to school. Let alone, when it's your first time and you feel totally clueless. It took some courage to leave Jaron the first day. And even more courage to drop him off the next morning after I had spent the night before crying after the whole thing finally sunk in. As parents it takes some trust in the educational system; the teacher; the school; the whole thing. Truthfully though, I was putting my trust in the Lord to protect and watch out for my son. I have found myself praying more throughout the day in a long time.

And Russell needed some courage this week after he accidentally got pushed over and knocked his head into the fireplace ledge. I knew the moment I looked over and saw him sitting on the floor with his back to the fireplace crying that this was going to mean a trip to the ER. Luckily Clark trusted me. Yeah, I don't think a band-aid was going to fix a nearly 2 inch gash. But boy, I'm telling you, this kid is full of that courage thing. The doctor and two nurses who assisted in the sealing of his wound (5 lovely staples in the head) couldn't believe how calmly he took the whole procedure until the very end. Apparently, they told us grown men would cry during the whole process. His courage was aptly rewarded with a Popsicle and a Jr. Frosty. I just wish now he weren't so klutzy because just tonight I was icing an eye before bed because of some mishap. Oh well. Apparently he takes after his father.

Russell pre-staples.
I'll let you in on a secret, he looks pretty much the same post-staples.

And Eliza, well, maybe it takes some courage to smell like a man for the whole day. She enjoyed covering her head with shaving cream during an outside activity. What the heck was I doing with my kids outside with shaving cream? I don't know. Entertaining them I guess.

No clue what this crazy girl was thinking
but she sure enjoyed smearing shaving cream all over herself.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Jaron looked so cute. I hope he's liking it okay. So sad about Russell's gash. William ran into the wall last week and had to get 3 stitches, but we have nothing on you! Russell's wound sounded pretty bad!