Really, what is it about kids and going to bed at night? Why do they dislike going to sleep that they fight it? I'm envious of Eliza that she gets to take a nap every afternoon. For as long as she wants. And not a care in the world.
For my boys it really isn't the going to bed part. They are content to play their role in our nightly routine. But once that door closes on their bedroom - BAM - the party starts. I find several things about this situation amazing. First, my boys who enjoy playing all day together don't regularly get along. Usually there is a spat over something in a small amount of time. Apparently they put all differences aside to maximize their nightly partying time because without a doubt, a fight would put a definite end to it.
Secondly, where does this amazing burst of energy come from? Moments before they were dragging and yawning and near impossible to get them to clean up. I'm frequently told by Russell that he is too tired to clean up. But yet . . . suddenly their energy is amazingly and miraculously restored.
And third, it does not matter what time we put them to bed (early or late) or what time they got up at and how long they've been on the go that day (usually 13+ hours) they inevitably play. Might I add, whatever threats or cohersion or what not we attempt to employ each night doesn't do much to sway it either.
Ok, but the most amazing thing is this. If we split them up for a mere 3 minutes they are both out. Completely crazy! The past few weeks they've toned down their night time partying (maybe the heat has zapped the energy out of them - it has for me). But even I write this post they are goofing around. I don't get it. Well, this I do get, it is a rite of passage in childhood to not go to bed when you are told.
However, I do wonder, is falling asleep on the bathroom floor better than your bed? Kids are crazy. Well, at least mine are!
2 comments:
My boys are exactly the same... best friends at bedtime and fight all thoughout the day! Crazy and frustrating, but you are right... it is a right of passage. I still have fond memories of my sister and I playing!
I need to brace myself for this, because I'm sure we'll be having our boys share in the next few months...
Post a Comment