Sunday, August 01, 2010

A Tripologue

How do you sum up a 10 day long trip that you have been planning and anticipating for well over a year? A trip that consisted of putting 3000 miles on a rented 12-passenger huge white van? A trip where we visited three national parks - Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, and Rocky Mountain - but by the 2nd mountain or overlook our kids figured they had seen it all. A trip that included my parents and lots of opportunities for all of us to talk, walk, get roasting hot, and even melt down a little? Or how about the fact that within the first 24 hours of the trip Russell got bitten so badly by mosquitoes that his forehead swelled so badly that his profile changed. And then eventually his eye swelled up making it difficult for him to open it. (I still can't believe we didn't take a picture of that!! I guess we were too concerned about how crazy he looked.) A trip that included some geyser gazing (or waiting!!), canoeing, walking, rock throwing, swimming, driving, picnicking, more walking, tram riding, animal watching and some more driving. Maybe I just sum it up by posting some select pictures from our trip. That's probably the best I can do and people really don't want to read a travelogue anyway!


Maybe her smile just sums it up. She was loving it!Start them young in geyser gazing (and waiting); that's what I say.

Actually, if you look closely you see the beginnings of his swollen forehead and his face covered with bug bites. Little did he know as he sat and watched his very first geyser that he would look like a completely different child the next day. That's ok though, he sported a baseball cap and sunglasses for the next few days to disguise any disfigurement.
Surprisingly, we never seemed to run out of rocks. Or overfilled the lakes!
Yep, that's us. Going through our head, "What were we thinking when we planned this trip?" And "Hurry and take the picture before our kids fall in the lake!"
There must be a law in nature that says if you find a rock it must be thrown in the first body of water you locate. (I'll admit, I did some rock throwing myself.)
On top of the world! Or at least a mountain. You would think after living in Oklahoma the wind wouldn't phase them. I guess when you add in the cold though.Going up was so much easier than coming down.
(And he gets motion sickness easily!)

The Rock at Bear Lake (RMNP) you must have a picture taken on.I love that these guys are buddies!The great parents/grandparents who put up with this craziness. You would think that after dragging their own 7 children around these parks they would have little desire to repeat it with the 2nd generation. We appreciate their sense of humor.All I can say, she just adores her dad.


1 comment:

Emily said...

What a fun trip! Beautiful pictures!