Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Great Neighbors

I had two different neighbors bale me out today. We had a ton of snow and I had gone outside to shovel the driveway. I originally intended to get half of the driveway shoveled but once I got out there and realized that it was up to Jaron's waist at some points I decided I was just going to shovel a path for Clark to get to the house. I had both of the boys out there with me. Jaron was trying to help and Russell was hanging out in the stroller.

Russell started to get frustrated with his situation (or maybe because he was getting cold) and so I wheeled the stroller down to the end of the driveway where I was working. Within about a minute or two my neighbor across the street was outside and heading over to my house with his snow blower. (I'm sure he keeps wondering why we don't actually buy a snow blower. Usually once or twice a winter he ends up doing our driveway for us.) It was really nice of him. He told me to take the kids inside and relax. Hah! Good one. But it was nice to go in.

Then a while later, I got courageous enough to bundle up the boys and head out in search of Clark. He had called over 2 hours previously saying he was on his way home and still hadn't showed up. For those of you who don't know me well, I have a very over-active imagination. I figured I was going to have to track down Clark buried in a ditch of snow somewhere.

It should have been a pretty big hint to me that I really shouldn't be going anywhere when I pulled out of the driveway and promptly got stuck. Yep, that's me, really a sharp one. Forward, reverse, forward, reverse. Not going anywhere. Finally, another neighbor noticed my plight and volunteered to help push me. I'm sure he was thinking "Crazy lady. You've got two little kids in the car. Your baby is crying his head off. Maybe I should push your car back into your driveway and you're husband will make his way home." But he politely helped me get my car going on the road. Just as I got unstuck and got some momentum, he comes Clark, hiking down the road. Great!

I drive by Clark, call at the window "I can't stop now, I'll get stuck. I'll drive for a little while until I can find a place to turn around." Clark kept on going toward home and I think my neighbor just stood in the road and thought about how crazy I was. I then ended up getting stuck at the end of the road and both the guys had to walk down and push the car all the way back to our house.

I finally had to bale "ship" halfway home and get the poor, hungry, tired, crying Russell out of the car and carrying him the rest of the way home. Hey, I was just bored today. I needed some excitement.

This story explains why I emerged from my cookie making hiatus. Those guys definitely deserved cookies!

1 comment:

Melinda said...

That sounds miserable! Maybe that's why Tim and I ended up in AZ. I don't think I could do the long winters!