Saturday, February 02, 2008

Thank You

I've been in a little shock since finding out last Sunday evening that President Gordon B. Hinckley passed away. I've been having a hard time believing it until I watched his funeral today. So here I am today. I cried through the entire last song by the choir. I loved that song already but now will forever associate it with President Hinckley. I feel the need to add my thanks and also my tribute to this incredible man. He wasn't just a man though, he was a prophet of God. My prophet.

I don't think I can accurately measure how much President Hinckley has blessed my life. I've grown up hearing his voice and words. I remember going to General Conference sessions with my parents and sitting in the chapel, for what felt like all day long. To keep myself occupied I would draw pictures of who was speaking. I clearly remember taking great time to give detail to President Hinckley - especially his glasses. (As a side note: It always struck me that President Monson was really young because he had brown hair and everyone else seem to have white. I once asked my parents if President Monson was 40. They laughed at that.)

There have been so many things that President Hinckley has taught that have been powerful in my life. The few things that stand out: his encouragement to "stand a little taller, be a little better, do a little more", how simple decisions can change the course of your life, the importance of the temple. But most of all, it was his testimony. His unequivocal commitment in proclaiming and declaring that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is true.

Thank you President Hinckley. Thank you to your wonderful family for their sacrifice and support of you. I will miss you witty jokes, your sparkling eyes and smile. I will miss hearing your voice at General Conference. The world is a little dimmer without you in it . . . but I will try to do my best to "be a little better" and add my light to others to make up for what we've lost.

No comments: