Saturday, October 09, 2010

Back in the Pool

I took up lap swimming six-weeks after Eliza was born. I made quite an entrance apparently because I caught several people eying me. I was surprised that so many guys would find my post-pregnancy body that appealing. After a 30-minutes swim and down to the locker room to change I realized why I was being checked out. The posterior of my swimming suit had worn extremely thin and I was giving anyone who bothered to look a nice show. Oops.

Thankfully, that didn't hinder me from returning to swimming on a regular basis. I've quickly become addicted to lap swimming. Of course, I've always loved swimming. Throughout the last year and half as I've weekly visited the pool, lap swimming has become an addiction to me. It's my escape. Quiet where I only have to listen to myself. Where I work out my frustrations or my gospel doctrine lessons (although troubling when I come up with something so profound only to lack the paper and pencil to write it down). Swimming to me is better than a therapist and sometimes I think I've needed one!! But to me, best of all, a place of prayer.

I've been away from the pool some 5 weeks. Truth be told, my hiatus started about 10 days before Afton was born due to repairs on the pool. But desperation set in a week after Afton was born. I needed to swim. I was contemplating all sorts of crazy things just so I could swim. I had little patience for allowing my body appropriate recovery for fear that I was going to lose my mind in the interim.

It was so great today to finally go swimming again!! Who cares that my arms were sore in the process. It felt incredible to be enveloped in only my thoughts and water. So peaceful and calm.
And I prayed.

And prayed.

And prayed.

Amazingly, things seem more doable today.

1 comment:

Lisa Rampton Halverson said...

Oh! You are inspirational! I haven't swum in the longest time, but maybe I'll get my rear in gear because of your post.

I too had a swimsuit with little backside remaining. Just bought two new ones of the same pattern -- I like it, it's a swimmer's swimsuit, not a fashion statement, so I can use them for quite some time ... until the bottom wears out again!

At the rate I'm going, I'll have these suits for decades, since I'm not getting to the pool in order to wear out the backside!