Friday, October 29, 2010

Smashing Pumpkins


A few weeks ago, I asked my kids to forgo a trip to the pumpkin patch in lieu of a trip to Aldi to pick out pumpkins and a treat. And it worked! Which I was so glad it did for a few reasons. One of which, we have some super nice and thoughtful teenagers in our neighborhood who one evening thought it would be great fun to swipe all four of our pumpkins and smash them. I'm so incredibly happy that I could provide entertainment to them! And I know that teenagers are about the most thoughtless human beings on the planet, but gosh, I wish I could have had a little conversation with those guys. Because it was incomprehensible to my little people as to why someone would take their preciously picked pumpkins and ruin them.

Anyway . . . thankfully Aldi sells pumpkins cheap. Our first round of pumpkins were $1.99. My second round was $2.99 each but HUGE. So worth the money.

Clark and the kids enjoyed (maybe a relative term) carving pumpkins the other evenings. I happily ran an errand to the grocery store, observed, and worked on roasting the pumpkin seeds. A few shots of the evening, although missing was a shot of all the dishes needing attention. Lucky Clark got to do those while I worked frantically on preparations for preschool the next day.

Eliza really tackled cleaning out her pumpkin. Although at one point she got a hold of the carving knife and was going to town on it. She sure is determined to think she is capable of a lot more than she really is!

This is what Afton did for a majority of the evening until she got tired of "chilling" and requested my attention. Hopefully she doesn't feel bad in not getting her "own".


As for now, the pumpkins are safely perched on our back porch to avoid the greedy hands of those teenagers again. Maybe they'll get a second round of smashing in after Halloween.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: